- Headings are important in HTML documents.
- Headings are defined with the <h1> to <h6> tags.
- <h1> defines the most important heading. <h6> defines the least important heading.
<h1>Heading 1</h1> <h2>Heading 2</h2> <h3>Heading 3</h3> <h4>Heading 4</h4> <h5>Heading 5</h5> <h6>Heading 6</h6>
Headings Are Important
- Search engines use the headings to index the structure and content of your web pages.
- Users skim your pages by its headings. It is important to use headings to show the document structure.
- <h1> headings should be used for main headings, followed by <h2> headings, then the less important <h3>, and so on.
HTML Horizontal Rules
- The <hr> tag defines a thematic break in an HTML page, and is most often displayed as a horizontal rule.
- The <hr> element is used to separate content (or define a change) in an HTML page:
<h1>Heading 1</h1> <p>Copy and Paste your content here.</p> <hr> <h2>Heading 2</h2> <p>This is some other text. Copy and Paste your content here.</p> <hr>
Copy and Paste your content here.
This is some other text. Copy and Paste your content here.
The HTML Element
- The HTML <head> element has nothing to do with HTML headings.
- The <head> element is a container for metadata. HTML metadata is data about the HTML document. Metadata is not displayed.
- The <head> element is placed between the <html> tag and the <body> tag :
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <title>W3ProfessorsMy First HTML</title> <meta charset="UTF-8"> </head> <body> <p>The HTML head element contains meta data.</p> <p>Meta data is data about the HTML document.</p> </body> </html>
The HTML head element contains meta data.
Meta data is data about the HTML document.
HTML Tip - How to View HTML Source
- Have you ever seen a Web page and wondered "Hey! How did they do that?"
- To find out, right-click in the page and select "View Page Source" (in Chrome) or "View Source" (in IE), or similar in another browser. This will open a window containing the HTML code of the page.
HTML Tag Reference
- W3Professors' tag reference contains additional information about these tags and their attributes.
- You will learn more about HTML tags and attributes in the next chapters of this tutorial.
|<html>||Defines the root of an HTML document|
|<body>||Defines the document's body|
|<head>||A container for all the head elements (title, scripts, styles, meta information, and more)|
|<h1> to <h6>||Defines HTML headings|
|<hr>||Defines a thematic change in the content|