What is PHP
PHP is a open source, interpreted and object-oriented scripting language i.e. executed at server side. It is used to develop web applications (an application i.e. executed at server side and generates dynamic page).
- PHP is a server side scripting language.
- PHP is an interpreted language, i.e. there is no need for compilation.
- PHP is an object-oriented language.
- PHP is an open-source scripting language.
- PHP is simple and easy to learn language.
There are given many features of PHP.
- Performance: Script written in PHP executes much faster then those scripts written in other languages such as JSP & ASP.
- Open Source Software: PHP source code is free available on the web, you can developed all the version of PHP according to your requirement without paying any cost.
- Platform Independent: PHP are available for WINDOWS, MAC, LINUX & UNIX operating system. A PHP application developed in one OS can be easily executed in other OS also.
- Compatibility: PHP is compatible with almost all local servers used today like Apache, IIS etc.
- Embedded: PHP code can be easily embedded within HTML tags and script.
How To Install PHP
To install PHP, we will suggest you to install AMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP) software stack. It is available for all operating systems. There are many AMP options available in the market that are given below:
- WAMP for Windows
- LAMP for Linux
- MAMP for Mac
- SAMP for Solaris
- FAMP for FreeBSD
- XAMPP (Cross, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl) for Cross Platform: It includes some other components too such as FileZilla, OpenSSL, Webalizer, OpenSSL, Mercury Mail etc.
If you are on Windows and don't want Perl and other features of XAMPP, you should go for WAMP. In a similar way, you may use LAMP for Linux and MAMP for Macintosh.